Earth



Diego and I started talking about the earth on our way home from doing groceries. I've been trying to explain it to him ever since then, what the Earth is. He's seen the earth on the internet, and in pictures, and knows it by name. But he doesn't understand that it is only a picture, and that it is this massive thing we call our home. I have no idea how to explain it to him. I've told him, "the earth is very BIG...we are standing on the earth...we are driving on the earth...when you go outside and play on the grass that is part of the earth...etc." So tonight he was sitting on my lap, in his little underwear, facing me with his legs dangling on either side. He asked me about the earth again. He thinks it's a toy, he asks to go to the store to get it. "Mommy, I can have it, pleeeeaase?" So this time I told him, Diego, the earth is not a toy. The earth is what's under your feet." Diego automatically whipped up his little leg, bent his knee and grabbed his foot and checked the bottom of it. Eyebrows up in a curious arch, he said "I don't see it!"

No comments: