Program Start

Today we started Diego's Hooked On Phonics program. Right after breakfast, we did the first lesson, which focused on rhyming words. He did great, and even drew the lines himself to match the words that rhymed together. When we got to the flashcards he seemed to get a little confused. That's okay, he did great for his first lesson! We did the online games that were suggested, then watched his H.O.P dvd, and finally he got his yellow star. In the afternoon, we started the second lesson, which focused on the letter A. We colored the A red like an apple, and went over some pictures that started with the letter A, sounding out the "ah" sound as we named them off. We played the corresponding game on the Hooked On Phonics website and I printed some A worksheets for him to trace. I am so proud of him, I didn't even know he could trace! Shame on me for thinking he was too young to start tracing. Overall I'm pretty happy with the program, we still have a long way to go before I can really form a proper opinion on this. It's a good break from the normal lessons I do with him. Diego already knows the alphabet, but it was the phonics part that I was having trouble with teaching him, so I decided on this H.O.P program. I was even thinking of skipping the pre-k one and going onto the next level, but I figured this would be a good review for him if he knew everything, but it actually works for the phonics part...so I'm happy I chose this one instead. I also think that the workbook falls a little short of expectation because the lessons don't have much content, and are only two pages long. That's okay, though, because there are several preschool workbooks that I can use to supplement our lessons =)






No comments: